STRATEGY. ACTION. IMPACT.
The Vaid Group offers a range of strategic services in four general spheres: Organizational & Philanthropic Strategy; Issue Advocacy & Organizing; Initiative Development & Project Management; and Research & Evaluation. These are outlined further in the sections below.
Our team's experience includes organizational development and strategy, philanthropy, program & initiative design and management, coalition and network building, convening, planning and facilitation, resource development strategies, evaluation, board & leadership coaching, movement building, policy advocacy, research and analysis, and more.
We have substantive experience in the following areas, among others: social justice, building diverse organizations and projects, devising intersectional approaches, advocacy on international and domestic human rights policy, civil rights, LGBTQ, racial, economic, and gender justice, criminal justice reform, anti-poverty work, conservation, environmental sustainability and habitat protection, global and domestic philanthropy.
Read more below!
Organizational & Philanthropic Strategy
We design high-impact strategies, programs, solutions for diverse organizations, networks, coalitions, foundations, and individual philanthropists.
- Program design and organizational development for organizations
- Support for nonprofits and projects on fund development (foundation relations, fundraising plans, resource development strategy)
- Public policy strategies to engage, persuade and mobilize varied audiences,
- Philanthropic initiative design & management for donors, collaboratives, and foundations
- Philanthropic advisory services for foundations and individuals (strategy, initiative design, collaborative funds, grant-making strategy, evaluation)
The Vaid Group supports The Palette Fund to develop and execute a multi-year, place-based, funding strategy for engagement in Provincetown MA.
The Vaid Group supports the programmatic inclusion of racial equity into the work of Bread for The World, a leading Christian anti-hunger organization.
The Vaid Group provided interim-operational leadership, fundraising support and management to LPAC, the national lesbian SuperPAC, during a leadership transition.
Issue Advocacy & Organizing
We devise and execute strategies that advance issue advocacy and utilize organizing methodologies to engage and build leadership.
- Organize, build and manage coalitions and networks (strategies that build unique collaboration around an advocacy, issue, cross-sector, educational, or philanthropic goal)
- Movement building and convening (strategies that connect people around issues, constituencies, region or within or across)
- Convening, consultation, collaboratives, and conference production
- Direct Engagement Strategies (direct action, social media, political and cultural events)
- Conference and event MC and moderator services for donor gatherings, conferences and meetings.
Organized LGBTQ Poverty Collaborative, a network of groups working to advance research, organizing, policy advocacy, funding for services to address LGBTQ Poverty.
Initiated and organized the National LGBT/HIV Criminal Justice Working Group, the national network connecting nearly 50 organizations working to reduce the unique harms of the criminal legal system on the lives of LGBT people and people living with HIV.
Extensive conference production experience by Team Members includes Creating Change, Symposia at Columbia Law School; extensive experience as Conference MC at OutGiving, Democracy Alliance, Fenway Institute, National Center for Lesbian Rights, among others.
Initiative Development & Project Management
We envision, build & manage collaborations, initiatives, projects, coalitions, advocacy campaigns and projects. Our methodology to build any initiative starts with original research - often participatory -- that strives to be grounded in the input and experience of those most impacted by a challenge or opportunity. We manage and support a number of networks.
- Design and manage philanthropic initiatives
- Build and manage cross-sector collaboratives & networks
- Coalition building and management
- Fund and resource development campaigns
- Policy and advocacy projects
- Project and network operational management (including fundraising)
- Convening and meeting planning and facilitation
We helped found, and currently support the work of, the National LGBT/HIV Criminal Justice Working Group, a national advocacy network.
We initiated and co-lead a research and organizing project to build the first and only cross-racial, philanthropic and political network of Donors of Color.
We founded the Vaid Group's LGBTQ Poverty Initiative to increase support for low-income LGBTQ people and to increase the LGBTQ movement's work to end poverty.
Research & Evaluation
We are a team of experienced researchers and writers, with JD's PhDs and MAs from diverse fields. We offer rigorous analytical approaches that deploy diverse methodologies, from traditional social science research, to landscape analysis, to legal and policy analysis, to participatory research. Our team includes members with practical experience in issues facing justice and equity-focused organizations. We produce reports that are program evaluations and/or documentation.
Designed and wrote first-ever landscape analysis on the philanthropic engagement of people of color with high net worth. Titled The Apparitional Donor: Understanding and Engaging High Net Worth Donors of Color (available at www.donorsofcolor.org).
Designed and completed participatory research project with 8 partner organizations, convening service providers in 8 cities and 2 rural communities to inform the writing of an original report addressing key policy actions that could impact LGBTQ poverty (Intersecting Injustice: A National Call To Action) (available at www.lgbtqpoverty.info or www.lgbtqpoverty.org).
Conducted program documentation and assessment for American Federation of Teachers (AFT) on impact of its Innovation Fund.